Sunday, April 10, 2011

This is the DR CONGO, not the DR island in the Caribbean

Last night was the 2nd Annual Sowers of Hope and EDP Fashion Show 2011! Having only been a part of Sowers of Hope since the beginning of the year, I really didn't know what to expect as we planned and organized this awesome event held at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City, Utah. Although not connected with the non-profit I will be working with this summer in Uganda, I felt the work Sowers is doing is just too amazing to not get involved. I mean really, watch this video and tell me you don't feel the duty to help. We were raising money to help them with their school in the DR Congo. The event was a huge success and we sold out the seating on the floor for the show, raising $3,300! It was awesome, and I want to thank everyone that came out!!

I had the opportunity to run one of the doors into the event last night. This position has its ups and downs. You get to greet and see everyone that comes and feel the excitement as they line up ready to have a good time, but you also have to throw down on those select individuals that feel sneaking in, lying, or cheating is the best way to get into a charity event. I know you're probably surprised, shocked, and horrified that there are people out there that would do such things, but yes, yes it is true. But it's ok, I'm pretty sure I caught all of them last night. At least caught all those poor souls trying to sneak their way through MY door. Sometimes the convo went like this:


Me: "Welcome to the fashion show! If you haven't pre-ordered your tickets, they will be ten dollars a person."
Cheater one: "Oh.... I think my friend pre-bought one for me....."
Me: "Ok, what is their name?"
Cheater one: "Ummm.... can I just go in and find them? Then I'll come back..."
Me: "you want to go find them so you can ask their name? False. That will be ten dollars."

Or

Me: ""Welcome to the fashion show! If you haven't pre-ordered your tickets, they will be ten dollars a person."
Cheater two: "Wait, I have to pay to get into this?"
Me: "This is a charity event for the non-profit Sowers of Hope! We are helping them build a self-sustainable school in the DR Congo and are asking a minimum donation of ten dollars a person for the dessert reception, fashion show, and after party with EDP and Ryan D."
Cheater two: "I have to pay to send someone to school in the DR? That's like a freakin resort in the Caribbean. Why can't they pay for ME to go to school?"
(I'm disappointed in the American education system.)
Me: "Um, that's the Dominican Republic sir, not the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which in fact, is in Africa and not a 'freakin resort'... that will be ten dollars."

Then there were the line skippers and dodgers, the fake wrist bands, the 'I never got one, but I swear my boyfriend is in there waiting for me. It is still slightly mind boggling to me that there are people out there that want to sneak into a charity event. Like, really? But, although frustrating, there are always people that surprise me on the other end as well. The people that say:

"This is a charity event for the Congo? Here, take this extra 20."
or
"What else can I do to help? I really want to; I just don't know how."
or
"My wife isn't feeling well; she's in the car. But I wanted to come in and say thank you for doing this. Here's money for my ticket, and for my wife's. She would pay if she could come in, so I want you to have it anyway."

People want to do good. I believe that. I believe that people have good intentions that they don't know what to do with. They may not understand the cause exactly, and they may feel justified in sneaking around not wanting to pay, but I don't believe it is because they are bad people. I believe they are misinformed people.

After all, they never shot or tortured anyone in Africa, right? They never personally denied food to anyone in Central Africa who was starving. They never looked down on a kid in the Congo just because he or she never had they opportunities they had. Suffering in the Congo isn't their fault, right? Maybe... I guess you could claim that. But I kinda like to think that all the suffering in the world isn't happening as much because of bad people doing bad things. I think most of it goes back to good people doing no things. And it turns out I'm in good company.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do NOTHING." - Albert Einstein


Well said Einstein, well said.

You have more power than you think you do. Don't listen to people who tell you you can't, or it's not your problem, or there isn't enough time or money right now. If you were in crisis, are those the excuses you would want the people who could help you to say? You can help. Whether it's Africa, or local, or another place in the world. You can help, and I believe you're called to.

2 comments:

  1. Juzie, You're amazing and I love you. Love, Sesse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i guess i have to read your blog to find out about your life because you are MIA all. the. time. and. never. come. home.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete