Sunday, July 28, 2013

Belize is a literal dream

Dont judge me. I would have posted more to prove my immediate love for Belize, but the day after I posted last, our documentary team showed up with a bajillion and ten devices and sucked up all the wifi in the worst way ever. I could get on instagram and kind of facebook but only if I stood in a particular spot and it was late or early. Why do I not have immediate perfect internet pouring into my Iphone at all times?!?! Hashtag firstworldproblems.

Anyways. The HELP International Belize team is just incredible. I loved all of the projects they were working on and meeting and interviewing all of the partners with the documentary team.

One of the projects we did this week was an empowerment camp with local children in the community of San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize. We partnered with the local police and other NGOs to put it on, and so many people came together to make it such a fun time! The kids learned lessons on health and self esteem and other topics. It was wonderful.




                                         
The kids have the most hopeful faces here.





There are too many things to write about, and I am about to get on a plane so I need to go for now, but one last partner highlight. I loved visiting Octavia Waight. It is a physical therapy nursing home center. Caitlin is certified in Musical Therapy and we had quite the jam sesh this day. I loved it. Music can bring so much joy and ease so much pain. This man loves his guitar and loves to sing, and I loved him.



Chatting with the patients and seeing life so different from your own but with so many similarities at the same time can be so humbling.  I'm grateful already for the people I have met and been influenced by here in Belize.  One of my very favorite quotes is by Mother Teresa,

                           "The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved."

I 100% agree and I hope that no one I know or meet can say that they are not loved or cared about. No one deserves to feel like that, and I hope the people I meet know how much I genuinely care about them and love them. Even if I am only able to be in their life for a short time.



No comments:

Post a Comment